Al-Omri Mosque, Tiberias, Israel
Dome and minaret of the al-Omri mosque in the city center of Tiberias, viewed from the unfinished mezzanine of an adjacent shopping mall. For almost two millennia, Jews and non-Jews lived together in this ancient Roman city on the Sea of Galilee. In April 1948, the city’s 6000 Muslim residents were transported to Jordan during the Arab-Israeli War. After the 1949 armistice, they were forbidden to return to their homes in what had become the state of Israel.